When people think about staging their home for sale, they often think of rented furniture and fake fruit. But staging begins with some pretty important foundations. In addition to the obvious repairs, and all the glitz, there are some basic points you’ll want to start with:
- Cat litter: Purchase the best cat litter you can afford to keep the smell managed to the highest degree and put the litter in an area that has low traffic.
- Odours: If you have a dog that loves to hang out on your sofa, rugs and carpets, have a professional come in to clean them or rent a rug and upholstery cleaner from your local hardware store. It makes a big difference both in the smell of your home, but also in the appearance to display the carpets be in better condition. This is equally if not more true if you’re a smoker. Smoking indoors can reduce the sale price of your house by up to 20%!
- Declutter: Get rid of anything that you can store away for the next 3-4 months. Donate, throw it out, and prepack
- Musty basements: Humidity is here to stay in Southern Ontario so make sure you manage any moisture in your basement at all times. If you haven’t, it’s never to late to start–especially if you’re thinking about selling.
- Clean, clean, clean: Even if you think it’s pretty clean it can always be cleaner. A clean home simply sells more quickly and allows potential buyers to focus on your home.
Watch the video for additional info not covered here!